Thursday 7 June 2012

The Frugal Repast

I have been influenced by many artist's over the years and no artist has inspired me in the same way as Picasso. That being said, I decided to paint a piece in homage to him. I have always been fond of his etching The Frugal Repast (Les Repast Frugal) so I decided to pay respect to the great artist and paint my own version of the etching. I replaced the two figures with myself and my girlfriend of the time. This is the result.
The Frugal Repast, 2012
Alexander Royce
Acrylic on Canvas

The Frugal Repast, 1904 (printed in 1913)
Pablo Picasso
Etching
Picasso would have been 23 years old when he created this etching. Towards the end of his Blue period and beginning of his Rose period.


I painted the entire painting with a single brush because in the book Life with Picasso written by Picasso's mistress Francoise Gilot that Picasso had told her that only one brush is needed to complete a good painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment